Friday 9 November 2012

Launch of the 'Home Truths: South West 2012' Report

This week I had the opportunity of sponsoring an event which saw the launch of the National Housing Federation’s report, ‘Home Truths: South West 2012’.

The report highlighted the difficulties that people are facing in finding housing in the South West as rate of house building across the country fell to the lowest peacetime level since the Second World War. At the same time, house prices have continued to rise making it far more difficult for young people to get on the first rung of the housing ladder.

I was very pleased, therefore, to have the opportunity to host the report’s launch in the House of Commons. Although there is far more that the Government can do to increase the numbers of affordable housing in the South West, I welcome the NHF’s opinion that the Coalition is moving policy in the right direction.

Each week my constituents contact me with a wide range of housing problems and I do appreciate the urgency that is required in resolving them. We need to build more genuinely affordable homes that are available for local people. I will continue to work with the Government to ensure that we build on the work we have already done in making sure that far more homes are constructed. I will shortly be meeting with the new housing Minister and colleagues to discuss the NHF’s report and its recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.