Friday 8 July 2011

Celebrating the life of John Passmore Edwards

I was pleased to this week host a reception in Parliament to celebrate the life of John Passmore Edwards.  I was joined by Alex Ingham-Clark, a direct descendent of the great man as well as historian Dean Evans and members of his family.  

Mr Evans has done a really great job of reminding us of the significant contribution John Passmore Edwards made not only to Cornwall but many parts of England. I have fond memories of my weekly visit to Falmouth Library with my grandmother to change my Library books.

This reception was the 60th event so far in the centenary year.  I was pleased that MPs from all parts of the country came along and found out more about Passmore Edward’s legacy.  Dean’s book was well received and while Passmore Edwards did not enjoy being an MP at all, I was pleased to donate a copy to the House of Commons Library.

I want to make sure future generations appreciate the life of this great social reformer, born and raised in Blackwater, who did so much to improve the standard of living for working people.  He really understood that education is the route out of poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.