Monday 28 March 2011

Seeking assurances on Libya, and speaking up for Falmouth Coastguard

On Monday, having spent a great deal of time reflecting on my responsibility and with a heavy heart, I voted for the imposition of a no-fly zone over Libya.

I am reassured by the answers to questions provided by the Prime Minister that our involvement will be limited to the terms of the UN Resolution.  The leadership of the mission will be transferred to NATO.  

Parliament will be kept regularly updated and we will have the opportunity to question the Prime Minister on a regular basis.

I will be watching closely to ensure that these commitments are honoured.

My continued support for our participation in the international effort in Libya is conditional upon those commitments.

On Wednesday, I welcomed George Osborne’s 2011 Budget, and the relief that it will bring to hard pressed families across Cornwall.  Lifting many low-income earners out of tax and starting to tackle the high prices of our fuel and water bills.

Since my election I have been lobbying Minsters to recognise the effect of rising fuel prices upon the lives of my constituents.

Labour’s fuel price escalator, which would have added almost another five pence to the price of a litre of petrol from April 2011, has been abolished.  The Government has also delayed any duty increase.  It has, in fact, brought down the main duty rate by 1p with immediate effect and introduced a fair fuel stabiliser.

Another drain on the finances of Cornish families has also been tackled in the Budget - our high water bills.

Working together with Cornish Coalition MP colleagues, we have ensured Government recognition of our burden of high water bills and secured the pledge in the Budget of dedicated Government funding to bring the cost of our SW Water bills down.  A consultation document - allowing the people of Cornwall to have their say on how this should be done, will be published soon.

On Thursday, I led a debate in Parliament about the future of the UK Coastguard service.  I was pleased to be joined by MPs from around the UK and representing all political parties.  I was delighted that the Minister, Mike Penning MP emphatically confirmed that no final decisions have yet been made about the MCA proposals to modernise the Coastguard service, inherited from the last Government.  The former Labour Minister responsible for the MCA confirmed this point.  Mike Penning MP clearly stated it was “not a done deal” and he is welcoming new proposals.  Falmouth Coastguards have submitted alternative proposals and we will be discussing them with the Minister at Falmouth Coastguard Station on April 26th.  I will continue to make sure the voices of Falmouth Coastguards and local peoples’ concerns are heard loud and clear in Parliament.

My colleague, Sheryll Murray MP, spoke movingly during the debate and it was with great sadness I learned of the loss of her husband while fishing at sea.  A salutary reminder of the dangers our fishing communities face each day.  My thoughts and prayers go to Sheryll and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.