Monday 14 February 2011

Representing my constituents in Cornwall and Westminster

Ensuring that the UK has a sustainable and secure supply of energy is something I regularly work on. I want to make sure that the abundance of natural resources in Cornwall, along with our skilled engineering capacity is harnessed to generate heat and light in homes, public buildings and businesses.

In my maiden speech to Parliament I highlighted the opportunities in Cornwall and have been able to make real progress in securing commitments from the Government to support deep geothermal energy generation in Cornwall.  On Tuesday, at a meeting with parliamentarians and private companies involved with geothermal energy generation around the world, the Minister pledged to enable licensing which will help build investor confidence in this technology.  He also committed to include this technology in the forthcoming review of financial incentives to help renewable energy technologies get off the ground in the UK.  

I have also added my support to the Regional Development Fund bid to back the creation of the UK Centre
of Excellence for geothermal energy in Cornwall.  Many new and highly skilled jobs could be created as this technology could generate 15% of the UK’s electricity without the pitfalls of on-shore wind.

I have had a number of meetings with primary and secondary schools in my constituency and as a number of them are church schools, I was pleased to join a meeting at Westminster Abbey about the future of the Church of England and education.  I managed to secure a promise of support for the Diocesan Schools Board in Cornwall to help Church of England schools work with their partners through the possibility of becoming academies.  I also listened very carefully to their arguments for including RE in the English Baccalaureate.  I have discussed this with Michael Gove, along with a range of issues highlighted by head teachers during my meetings.  Throughout this challenging period of change for head teachers and governors, I will continue to work closely with schools in my constituency, helping in wherever they feel I can.

I joined several debates highlighting various constituents concerns, including welcoming the Government’s action in ensuring the Office of Fair Trading urgently investigates the functioning of the heating oil market; highlighting the impact of high fuel prices on residents and small businesses in Cornwall; and the need to deliver more support for hospices and not forgetting the invaluable role of respite care provided to families supported by Children’s Hospice Southwest.

It was a pleasure to join the Mayor of Falmouth and Glyn Winchester from Falmouth Art Gallery to receive a Sandford Award.  We all missed Brian at this prestigious event.

My last vote of the week was to vote against prisoners being given the right to vote.  You can see how I vote on all issues by going to the website: www.theyworkforyou.com.

Over the weekend I had the great pleasure of meeting many constituents including apprentices at Pendennis Shipyard, and people participating in the Bewnans Kernow conference at County Hall where Cornish sports and cultural organisations explored the very important opportunity of Cornish identity and its power to generate business and investment in the Duchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.