Monday 31 January 2011

The importance of evidence-based policy making

Good decisions are based on sound evidence.  Making sure that Ministers have a good understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing people working in public services here is very important to me.  

I was pleased to have secured meetings with Ministers and Detective Inspector Snell and the team in Devon & Cornwall Constabulary, so they can inform the development of government policy and police resourcing to tackle the growing incidence of child sexual exploitation.  Much more needs to be done to raise awareness with parents and all those working with children and young people about sexual exploitation.  Also, more needs to be done in tackling aspects of the criminal justice system in relation to these crimes.

I was delighted to visit Roseland Community College on Friday and talk with teachers and pupils.  As a result, and following conversations with other teachers in local schools, I will be taking up various points with Michael Gove.  I am looking forward to my next visit when I will be put through my paces by students.

The House of Commons spent most of last week debating the European Union Bill.  Like many people I was dismayed that the last Government signed the Lisbon Treaty, passing more decision-making powers to the EU, without a referendum.  This Bill ensures that no government will be able to do this again.

The Bill also ensures that if there are any future changes to an EU treaty, moving power or responsibility for an area of policy from the UK to the EU, then the Government will have to ask the British people's consent in a national referendum before the change can be agreed.

The Bill will also affects the European Union’s use of ratchet clauses or "passerelles" – provisions in existing EU treaties that allow the rules of the EU to be modified or expanded without the need for a formal treaty change.  From now on the UK Government will require an Act of Parliament consenting to the modification, before it can agree to the passing of a ratchet clause.

On Thursday, I met with Falmouth Harbour Commissioners for a debrief on their meeting with the Marine Management Organisation to discuss the next steps in securing the necessary licenses for dredging Falmouth Harbour.  I will continue to work with all concerned to find a way forward that balances the protection of our marine environment with unlocking the potential economic prosperity of our port.

Always an inspiration, I appreciated the time that a number of local voluntary organisations gave me this week, updating me on their vital work in supporting residents in our community.  While I am no stranger to the work of St. Petroc’s, I was pleased to learn of their new service, providing overnight accommodation for homeless people in Truro during the extremely cold weather this winter.  On Saturday, I popped into the Malabar Centre Open Day to listen to the team who are continuing to develop a range of interesting activities for the whole community in an attractive setting.

Finally, following my weekly advice surgery, I met Cornwall Partners in Care about a wide range of issues concerning businesses who are providers of home and residential care.  We are fortunate in Cornwall to have care providers with such passion, dedication and commitment to high standards of care for elderly and disabled people in Cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.