Tuesday 8 February 2011

Supporting geothermal energy generation

In Whitehall today I participated in an important meeting with parliamentarians, officials  and private companies involved with geothermal energy generation.

At that meeting I was pleased to see the Department of Energy and Climate Change’s continuing commitment to encouraging the growth of geothermal energy generation within the UK. I am excited by the potential of geothermal technology, both in generating renewable energy for the UK, innovation and jobs in Cornwall.

I have added my support to the Regional Development Fund bid to back the creation of the UK Centre of Excellence for geothermal energy in Cornwall.  Many new and highly skilled jobs could be created as this technology could generate 15% of the UK’s electricity without the pitfalls of on-shore wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.